Saturday, February 28, 2009

Installing Git (1.6.1.3) on Ubuntu (8.04)

Yes, I know it sounds as simple as batty poo. But it took me so long this morning to find a reference to something that actually worked. I found the following instructions from Piku's Blog - the easy way to get Git going.

I downloaded Git 1.6.1.3 using Ubuntu 8.04. Piku's instructions below.

1. Install GNU Wget if you don't already have it
~$ sudo apt-get install wget

2. Install tk
~$ sudo apt-get install tk

3. Install Git using
~$ wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-1.6.1.3.tar.gz
~$ tar -zxvf git-1.6.1.3.tar.gz
~$ cd git-1.6.1.3/
~$ ./configure
~$ make
~$ make install

Now to creating a new Git repository...

2 comments:

Michael said...

THX for the post It really helped me.

Cheers

iStefo said...

Me, too, thx. Who needs updates via apt-get when you are allready above the highest available version for your OS ;)